Public Policy Degree
Policymakers, managers and leaders all over the world have earned a public policy degree to launch their successful careers. The degree is equally valuable for careers in non-profit governmental organizations, multilateral agencies and private companies trying to impact the public sector. A person aspiring to a public policy career needs to have excellent communication skills, both written and oral, because of the fast pace of the policy scene. Policy professionals also need to have strong interpersonal and time management skills, as they will be building coalitions and working to resolve differences. They should also be able to multi-task, work under tremendous pressure and demonstrate flexibility.
How to Become a Public Policy Manager
Considering a bachelor’s degree may be a good option for a career in public policy. However, a person may strengthen his or her credentials by earning a master’s degree that can take a career to the next level. The coursework would typically focus on various aspects of public policy, such as law, public administration, criminal justice, public policy, political science, and health care administration. Public policy certifications require at least an undergraduate degree in any discipline. A doctorate in public policy is aimed at producing researchers and scholars, who provide innovative solutions to societal problems.
Public Policy Degree Curriculum
Some examples of common classes in the curriculum of a public policy degree program include:
- Economic development
- Civic engagement
- Homeland security
- International development
- Health management and policy
- Non-profit organizations and philanthropy
- Social policy
- Sustainability and environment
- Transportation and infrastructure
Public Policy Degrees & Certificates
An individual equipped with a bachelor’s degree may be able to start a career by taking up a position as a policy or management analyst. Some possible positions for people who have completed their master’s in public policy include strategic planner, survey researcher, management development professional, legislative staffer and lobbyist. After completing a doctorate in public policy, some people may assume academic positions, while others pursue higher ranking positions in organizations. With increased seniority and any certifications in public policy, a person may be able to assume positions as a director of management development or senior consultant in non-governmental organizations, multilateral agencies or some private businesses.
Public Policy Schools and Programs
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Local Government Management for Sustainab
- M.S. in Criminal Justice Leadership & Executive Management - Law and Public Policy
- Master of Public Policy - Health Policy
- Master of Public Administration - Policy Analysis
- And more...
- MA Public Policy: International Affairs
- MA Public Policy: Campaigns and Elections
- MA Public Policy: Public Administration
- MA Public Policy: Middle East Affairs
- And more...
- Master of Public Administration with an Emphasis in Government and Policy
- Master of Arts in Public Policy
- Human Services Management Certificate
- B.S. in Human Services/Gerontology
- B.S. in Human Services/Family and Child Services
- B.S. in Human Services/Addictions
- And more...